Installing SP 2010 Beta - round one! Can I run a 64-bit guest OS on my 32-bit host OS?

Many of my SharePointer buddies have begun playing with the Beta on different environments. Some have got through easily and some stuck with Step 1.

If you are running a virtualized environment and want portability for your 2010 goodies (SP 2010, VS 2010, Office 2010) you would want to ask yourself, can I install a 64-Bit OS i.e. pre-req Windows Server 2008 R2 on my guest OS that is currently running a 32-bit XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Well, VMWare has supported this since 5.5 and if you want to run a pre-check, download and run this utility. The utility from VMWare will let you know whether a 64-bit Guest OS is possible on your hardware or not!

Plus, not all 64 bit processors will work for a 64 bit guest OS (noted!). Here's a pdf showing a compatibility list of hardware that is capable to run a 64-Bit guest OS.

Good luck!

0 comments: